Which of these is a scope for Custom Metrics?
Similar to custom dimensions, custom metrics can have different scopes. Hit-level custom metrics get associated with all the hit level dimensions with which it was sent. Similarly, product-level custom metrics are associated only with the product with which it was sent. The following examples illustrate these two types of custom metrics.
Read more here: //support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828#scope
Scope determines which hits will be associated with a particular custom dimension value. There are four levels of scope: product, hit, session, and user:
- Product – value is applied to the product for which it has been set (Enhanced Ecommerce only).
- Hit – value is applied to the single hit for which it has been set.
- Session – value is applied to all hits in a single session.
- User – value is applied to all hits in current and future sessions, until value changes or custom dimension is made inactive.
When a custom dimension has product-level scope, the value is only applied to the product with which the value is set. Because multiple products can be sent in a single hit, multiple product-level scoped custom dimensions can be sent in a single hit.
When a custom dimension has hit-level scope, the value is only applied to the hit with which the value was set. This is demonstrated in Figure A, Figure B, and Figure C below:
When two values with session scope are set at the same index in a session, the last value set gets precedence and is applied to all hits in that session. In Figure D below, the latest value set overwrites any previous values for that index:
Lastly, if two user-scoped custom dimension values are set within the same session, the last value set gets precedence for the current session, and is applied to future sessions for that user.
In Figure B below, CD value A is applied to all hits in session 2, just like a session-level CD. However in Figure C, unlike with session-level scope, the CD value A continues to be applied to hits in the third session due to CD1 having user-level scope:
- Which Of These Is Scope For Custom Metrics
- Analytics Which Of These Is Scope For Custom Metrics
- Which Of These Is Scope For Custom Metric